Tuesday, August 29, 2017

School Reading

Seeing as that school is starting in a week for me, I decided it was time to talk about school reading. In school we are obviously assigned books that we have no choice in reading. I hate this because I love reading young adult novels and it turns out we never get to really read those in school. I of course still like a bunch of the books that I am forced to read. I loved both One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey and 1984 by George Orwell. I also hated Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, The Power of One by Bryce Countenay, and Big Mouth and Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates. My favorite school reading assignment was freshman year when we got to read any three books the whole year and write book reviews of them. This is what got me into writing about books. If I hadn't had this assignment, I would have never started this blog and that would have been a true tragedy! This summer I had my first summer homework assignment since summer before 8th grade. I had to read How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster and any other work of literary fiction (sadly not YA because life sucks) and then write an essay about it. I have to say, I really hated reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor for the purpose of taking notes and writing an essay. It totally helped with my writing (I am writing a book that I will tell you all about later) and I wish I wasn't forced to write about it in a homework assignment. For my other book, I read Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I really, really loved it! But because I had to write an essay on it, I had no desire to write a book review on it, which is honestly the worst feeling. I love reading, but being forced to read in school sometimes makes me understand why other people don't want to read. Oh well, this is why I always make sure I have a new, beautiful book and time each day to read it. My biggest fear (besides bees and blood) is starting to hate reading! Luckily the IB reading curriculum looks really interesting so I think I am safe for now! Anyways, I hope you all are having a wonderful time reading and that none of us ever lose interest!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment