Friday, June 29, 2018

Reading a Loved Book for a School Assignment

There is nothing that can compare to the joy one feels when they realize they get to read a book they have not only already read, but also love, in school. Unfortunately, that happiness comes crashing down after realizing that your classmates do not share your love, and how difficult it is to stop fangirling and start annotating. Well, I might be exaggerating a little, but still, it sucks to have to take a book you just want to relax with, and have to spend the whole time thinking about its deeper meaning! This is also weird for me, because I actually enjoy thinking about the deeper meaning in books, and I love writing English papers (I know, I might actually be crazy). Currently, I am reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (one of my favorite books of all time) for a school project and I can't help but notice how different my reading habits are. I look forward to reading it, but my annotating is essentially pointing out irony and sarcasm and then writing LOL next to every other line. I mean, I can't help it! That book is just so dang funny! I think it is interesting how we want to think about some books and others, we just want to entertain us. Luckily, absolutely nothing could ruin Jane Austen for me, and I am actually enjoying my project, but I can't help but wonder why we don't want to think academically about the books we love the most. Maybe it is because we are all too busy fantasizing about Mr. Darcy! Happy Reading! -Becca 

No comments:

Post a Comment