Monday, September 25, 2017

Terrific Tom Kha Gai (Chicken Coconut Soup)

I am so sorry for not posting on Wednesday! I have been extremely busy and sick as well as my homework load has tripled from last year. So I did not have any time to write a blog post and I did not want to post a draft and have it be bad. I figured it would be better to just wait and post something way better. So in honor of me being sick here is a delicious Tom Kha Gai (or Thai Coconut Soup) recipe. The original recipe is delicious and can be found at http://pin.it/DmmYiq3 by the food blogger Carls Bad Cravings. I did change the recipe to better fit my own tastes and so it would taste more like the version I get at my local Thai food place. Also here are some added benefits to this recipe, it can easily be made vegan, vegetarian, or paleo. It is already gluten free and dairy free! This is great for when you are sick because it will completely clear out your sinuses and definitely will improve your mood. Plus when you are sick it can be hard to taste, but this soup is so flavorful that it will overcome those horrible flu symptoms! Please enjoy and make sure to comment your thoughts and opinions!



Ingredients:


  • 1-2 Tablespoons of sesame oil or olive oil
  • 1.5-3 Tablespoons of Thai red chili paste (or use Thai red curry paste, which I prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2-3 pounds chicken breasts cut into strips 
  • 4 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock (I use better than bullion)
  • 3-4 bay leaves (dried or fresh)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil (or fresh, but wait to add until the end)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • sriracha to taste (I use 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 3-4 inch piece of fresh ginger cut into chunks (can substitute with 1 teaspoon ginger powder but fresh tastes better)
  • 3-4 stalks lemon grass (or lemongrass paste but be aware gourmet garden is not dairy-free, paleo, or vegan)
  • 2 cans coconut milk (full fat is best and I like Thai Kitchen)
  • 2 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce 
  • 1/4 cup lime juice, or juice of two limes
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar (or paleo natural unrefined sweetener)
  • cilantro to taste (I use about 1/4 cup)
  • 2 bell peppers, sliced 
  • 1 yellow onion. sliced 
  • green onion to taste, chopped 
  • 5-6 cups cooked rice 

Directions:

  1. Saute red chili paste, red pepper flakes, garlic, onions, sriracha, and salt in sesame oil for 30 seconds.
  2. Add chicken and saute until opaque but not cooked through.
  3. Add lemongrass paste (or lemongrass bu make sure to remove tough outer layer and cut an x shape into the bottom) ginger, basil (only if dried), pepper, and bay leaves. Saute for another 30 seconds
  4. Prepare chicken stock and add to pot and bring to boil.
  5. Lower heat to medium-low; cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro and simmer a few minutes.
  7. Serve over rice or rice noodles and enjoy!

Book Recommendation:

Being sick has put me in a total reading slump so when I was thinking of something comforting to go with a cold and this delicious soup, this book just popped into my head. It is honestly great for anyone and I really need to reread it. Also right now I am watching Parks and Rec in the episode where Ann leaves and I am basically bawling my eyes out so if you need a TV show recommendation then definitely watch Parks and Rec! Anyways both are great, but this book is so fantastic and while I have never directly tired reading it and eating my soup at the same time, I know it would be great! If you do try it make sure to comment below and tell me! Have a great day and happy reading!!!

Eve & Adam (Eve & Adam, #1)Eve & Adam by Michael Grant
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Readers will be sucked into the fresh science fiction romance created by Michael Grant in Eve and Adam. After Evening is in a terrible car crash, she is rushed to her mother's research facility by a mysterious boy. Day after day passes and Eve swears she will die of the mundane cycle that is her new life of healing. Luckily her mother has an idea, create the perfect boy. So Eve sets to work on her perfect man, but what happens when he becomes a reality? I adored this book! I found it randomly one day at the library and just fell in love with it. I read it all in one sitting and I haven't read it since, but I still remember just obsessing over it. The story has great elements of humor and dramatic irony. There is also a great feeling of mystery as well as a super intriguing romance. I was very happy for a few seconds when this book appeared to be a series, but it turns out that there is only a short story companion, which totally crashed my mood. Overall this book is fantastic and is a total page turner. I would highly recommend it to anyone in need of a good new science fiction novel, a love story, or needs something to get out of a reading slump!

No comments:

Post a Comment