Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Amazing Series I Need To Finish

Sometimes life gets busy and other books arrive so even though I have read the first or second book in a series I just never get around to finishing it. I really need to because so many of these books are really really good! So, here are some books that are fantastic and I need to get around to finishing their series. I hope you enjoy and actually finish all the books unlike me! Happy Reading! -Becca

1. Dark Retelling with Great Humor

Around a year and a half ago I listened to this book as an audiobook and just fell in love with it. The story really pulls you in and even though the book isn't ginormous, it kind of feels like the book goes on for a really long time and I love that! I can't remember if I finished the second book or not, I don't think I did, but I actually own all the books so I really need to finish them! I have a feeling my problem was that I tried to read the second one instead of listening to the audiobook, and I really loved the audiobook version and actually reading it wasn't as good for me. This book is definitely for a certain kind of person as I tried to get my sister to read it and she immediately disliked it, as did some of my other friends. Just make sure you realize that even though the book is called Dorthy Must Die, this is not an extremely violent book. I hate gore and I'm afraid of blood so don't worry about it being to gross or anything because it isn't. I would recommend listening to the audiobook version, but I have to say I love the cover so much that I wish I had it on my bookshelf so its up to you!

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

The Wizard of Oz is not what it seems in this twisted, fantastic, and darkly romantic retelling that is Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. Amy Gumm has no desire to save anyone, but when you get pulled into a tornado into the land of Oz, its kind of hard to say no. Oz is not what it seems as Glinda the Good Witch has to use an artificial smile, flying monkeys are being executed, the yellow brick road is practically gone, and Dorthy is drunk on her own power. Amy is recruited (Kind of against her will) to the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked where she is trained for a single purpose. Dorthy Must Die. I loved the dark humor of this book! Amy is such a great character and the minor characters have such well crafted personalities that really enrich her as a character even more. I think Dorthy might have been my favorite character because of her amazing transformation from the original book. I just love how horrible she is! The plot of this book is so jam packed with action even while being a pretty normal sized book. The best part is the characters as this twisted retelling is just so well done! There is a lot of sarcasm in this book and I think it worked really well to balance out the amount of action and character growth. I would recommend this book to lovers of retellings and sarcastic, slightly dark humor.
View all my reviews



2. Badass Female in an Amazing Fantasy World.  

This series is the one I'm most ashamed that I haven't finished yet. I absolutely adore Sarah J. Maas and the Courts series is one of my favorite series. I actually own all of these books except for Empire of Storms and obviously the ones that have not come out yet. I read the first two and I loved them, but for some reason it was really hard for me to continue the series. Right now its because I can't remember what has happened so I know I will have to reread the first two books in order to continue and I have so many other books to read I don't have time to reread anything. I have a feeling I won't end up finishing until the rest of the books come out and then I can just binge all of them at once. This is not the kind of book you can just put down and come back too, because you will get really confused. So, I would make sure you have enough time to just read the whole dang series otherwise you might not enjoy it as much. Also to all the haters out there who are mad that Celaena isn't some inhuman, void of flaws, bloodthirsty and disgusting character, what is wring with you? Characters have to have flaws and emotions otherwise they wouldn't be at all realistic and therefore not relatable. When you read something, you have to be able to connect with the character on something otherwise you will not like them at all and the book will not be successful. So yeah she isn't perfect, but she is still totaly badass! I mean seriously how many lives have you saved!

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Readers will be blown away by this stunning, romantic, dark fantasy that is Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. Celaena Sardothien is an assassin, ruthless, cunning, beautiful, unbeatable. Sadly, she is also a prisoner, and her only chance of being released is by becoming the kings champion, by beating 23 other competitors. Celaena has no doubt she can beat them, but as dark magic starts to stir in the castle, Celaena must find out the truth, as magic of all kinds has been banned by the King and the punishment is death. Celaena only wants to walk free, but she becomes intrigued by the mysterious Prince and the Captain of the Guard, as well as a visiting princess who might be her first friend. Celaena must follow her heart and defeat the magic before it starts to hurt those she cares about. Let me just start off by saying I love Sarah J. Maas. This story is so original and beautifully done. The world is very different from what I was expecting and my only complaint is that we don't get to know everything in the first book and are instead forced to keep hunting for more information. The character development is very interesting in this book and I don't know how Maas manages to spread her series out so long while still packing each book with emotional growth and fantastic plot. As a romance fanatic, I kind of wish the romance in this book was as good as in her Courts series, but that's just because I'm greedy and I want everything to have a ton of romance in it! I would recommend this book to just about anyone, but its really great if you love fantasy (though you can still like it, even if you don't like fantasy).
View all my reviews

3. Wonderful Fantasy Hero's Journey 

I read Sabriel in Freshman English in a two person book group with my best friend and it was honestly one of the best experiences I have ever had! Not only was the book fantastic, I got to read it with someone awesome and we got to create an amazing board game based off the book. I can't remember if I finished the third book in this series Abhorsen or not, I mean I can kind of remember the ending, but I would definitely need to reread the book to understand what is going on. I think my issues with this book series were the same I had with the Howl's Moving Castle series by Diana Wynne Jones, the main characters from the first book are only minor characters in the following books and new main characters are introduced and then old main characters become the main characters of another book. Basically the characters are all over the place and the plot line kind of stops and starts again. I like everything to stay in a line and once I realized that the fourth book would not continue the plotline that was started in the second book and wouldn't be picked up until the fifth book, I kind of gave up. I wish I hadn't though, because the books were really good and the fifth book is finally out and I want to read it, but now I have to go back and reread. But, if you love fantasy, these books are just fantastic and have every element a good fantasy series has.

Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)Sabriel by Garth Nix
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Readers will love the amazing fantasy world that has been created by Garth Nix in Sabriel. Sabriel does not know very much about the free magic she possesses as the daughter of the Abhorsen. She spent very little time with her father as she went to a boarding school in Ancelstierre, but when her father goes missing, Sabriel knows she must travel to the Old Kingdom and find him. Sabriel must face her fears of the possibility of her fathers death and her birth rite as the Abhorsen, but she refuses to give up hope in his survival. I love the world that Garth Nix created with this book. Its so unlike anything else I have read. I know to new readers this book and its world may seem confusing, but the book will explain things really well so don't be scared off by it. While this book may be labeled as a coming of age story, I kind of disagree and I feel this is more of an adventure story, more of a hero's journey. I loved all the characters in this book, mainly because Nix has this way of seeming like there is no focus on character development, while still having huge emotional growth, so it feels so natural, and melds really well with the story. The world building in this book is amazing because it manages to make you feel like everything is real. I also loved how there is some really good humor in this book in the supporting characters that just pull everything together. I would recommend this book to all fantasy lovers. If you are not a fan of fantasy then you most likely will not like this book, but I would encourage you to try it any ways, you never know right?
View all my reviews

4. Forbidden Love Affair 

Oh god I can't believe I'm putting this book in yet another list! This is why I am doing more than five books in this list so I can make up for you guys seeing the same thing over and over again. I adored this book when I read it and I loved everything about it and then I just looked at the second book, and realized that I had no desire to read it. I own the two other books, but it will probably be awhile before I  read the rest of series. I think my problem was that the ending of this book is really shocking, but it isn't really a cliffhanger and that made me kind of satisfied with the ending (Though I really was sad at the ending, I want to say I hated it, but it was perfectly done so I can't complain too much!) I also had the same problem with Delirium that I had with Dorthy Must Die. I listened to the first book as an audiobook and it was so fantastic, but I had bought the rest of the books as paperbacks and my library didn't have the rest of the books as audiobooks. So picking it up didn't seem as appealing as listening to it. Also I of course had to look up if the romance in the rest of the books was as good as in the first and it appears that the first book is the only really romancy novel and that made me really discouraged because usually the romance intensifies not goes away! :(  But of course I would encourage you all to read this whole series as I will eventually read the rest and I would love to hear your thoughts about it so please comment!

Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Readers will be held spellbound by the captivating, intense and breathtakingly romantic novel that is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. In a world where love is a disease and banned for the safety of the people all Lena wants is to lay low and get a good score on her evaluation so she can set up a good life after she is cured, but when handsome Alex bursts into her life her falling love may just be inevitable. I loved everything about this book and it is hard to pick what I loved the most but in trying to provide an explanation of how amazing this book is I would pick the excerpts from the rewritten history books and laws at the beginning of every chapter. These excerpts make the world completely believable and really well built. Romance in this novel was amazing and made me feel all the feels! I have to say I have never been more on the edge of my seat with character development than with this book. I was crying and screaming at my book trying to tell the characters what to do! Of course everything was perfectly timed in this novel and Lauren Oliver may just be one of my new favorite authors. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone because it is amazing! To see my full review and booktalk on youtube click on this link https://youtu.be/6ZaEkyl1lvE
View all my reviews

5. Second Most Beautiful Cover I Have Ever Laid Eyes On!

I know that did not really give a description of the book so the other heading for this would be; fantasy love affair between a spoiled brat and a slave. I chose the first one because other wise I was afraid none of you would read the Winner's Curse! Its actually a really great book, and while the synopsis feels very unoriginal, the story has a lot of unique parts too it. The second book sadly was a not as good as the first, due to a large lack of romance and movement with the plot. I only got through about half of the second book before reading other books became more important. Even though there is a lot going on in these books I actually think I could pick up the second book even at a year later and still continue as in the second book nothing much has happened. I know I will eventually finish this series as the third book actually looks really good, but only when I have a lot of time and nothing else to read, which won't be for a while!
  
The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
My rating:  ❤❤❤❤

Readers should prepare themselves for a non-stop romantic thrill ride in reading, The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski. Kestrel, being the 17 year old daughter of a powerful military leader,, does not have many choices in life. She can either marry, or join the military to help the monstrous empire she lives in continue to enslave the surrounding lands. When Kestrel on a whim, buys a spunky slave named Arin, she is surprised to find comfort from him. Just as Kestrel's feelings start to grow, she realizes that Arin has a secret that could change her fate, and the fate of their world. My favorite part of this book was the romance! While it is pretty tame, the build up is good that it keeps readers completely on the edge of their seats. The character development is the best aspect of this book by far. While the world is very interesting I don't feel like it was as well built as it could be. The plot isn't really like an adventure story until the ending, but it still manages to keep readers very entertained, with a lot of twists. Overall this book is one you should read when you want something fun. It isn't super thought provoking, but it is interesting to read and definitely entertaining! I would highly recommend this book to romance and fantasy lovers and for readers 13 and up!
View all my reviews

6. The Most Beautiful Cover I Have Ever Laid Eyes On!

This book and the rest of the series have the most beautiful covers ever, even better than the Firebird Chronicles by Claudia Grey. This book could have definitely fit in with my audiobook recommendations, but I didn't think of it until I was going through goodreads looking for books for this list. As soon as I pulled up the book to write a review I realized I really wanted to listen too it, but of course I had to request a hold from the library, so I had to settle for The Beauty Of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson. This means I am actually finishing a series I had put off finishing at this very moment! So Back to These Broken Stars, the reason I didn't finish the series is because of the same reasons for Sabriel. The next book is about different characters, and the third book only has the first main characters as minor characters. I tried to start the second book, but it was so extremely different from the first book and I really did not like the characters. I would like to read the rest of the series, mainly because I want to see what happens to the first set of characters in the third book. I have to say, if you want to read this book, listen to the audiobook, because it is really, really, good. Of course the cover is also the kind of thing you want to display at the very front of your bookself so if you are bad at controlling yourself like me you should just buy both and comfort yourself in the fact that your bookself game is on fleek! These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
My rating: ❤❤❤❤

Readers will be dazzled by this beautiful love story and feel that they just like the characters, are fighting to survive in, These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen could not be more different. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe, Tarver is a war hero stationed on Lilac's fathers' ship, the Icarus. When the impossible happens and the Icarus crashes, Tarver and Lilac are the only survivors. Stranded on an uninhabited planet, they must explore their surroundings and uncover the mysteries in order to survive and have hope in being saved. This book is like a science fiction version of the Titanic, except with a fantasy plot twist at the ending. I can't pick a favorite thing about this book because the majority of it was just so well done! I have to say this is the most beautiful cover I have ever seen and the rest of the series also has just beautiful covers. There are two amazing things about this book, the character development and the world building. The character development is obvious from the synopsis, but the world is entirely different from what I had expected. For me, this book feels like a mixture of Alienated, Obsidian, Across the Universe, and Titanic. I loved this book except for the ending because it got very confusing which is why I gave it four stars. I would recommend this book to a certain kind of reader who loves romance, fantasy, science fiction, and plot twists!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment