Friday, September 02, 2016

Contemporary Romantic Comedies

Some times we all just need to sit back, relax, and grab a good romantic comedy. The problem is finding the right one to fit your mood. So whether you need to dig yourself out of a reading slump or you just need to laugh out loud, don't worry I got you covered.


1. Reading Slump Killer

Anna and the French Kiss can get you out of any reading rut. Its adorable story line is easy to get into and a great way to get over another book. If you aren't in a reading slump this book is also great if you love foreign romances and Stephanie Perkins completely understands how to create the balance between romance and comedy. Whether you are in a reading slump or just love romantic comedies this book is the perfect match for you!
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Anyone looking for the perfect romantic comedy will love the adorable and hilarious romance that is Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Anna is not happy about being shipped off to a boarding school in Paris. Not only does she not know any French she also doesn't know anyone at her new school and arriving senior year is not common. But it looks like her new school might also hold the perfect guy for her, perfect except for the fact that he already has a girlfriend. Will Anna be able to get the love of her life before the school year ends? Anna and the French Kiss is the kind of book you can always come back to and enjoy it as much as the first time you read it. I love Stephanie Perkins writing style because it is so lighthearted and it just adds to the romantic feel of the book. The characters in this story are the perfect balance between easy breezy romance novel and drama filled coming of age story. They each have little quirky traits that make them feel real and I especially loved Anna's love of films. Anna and the French Kiss is something I highly recommend for young adults looking for a good romantic comedy.
View all my reviews



2. Hilarious Retelling 

Sometimes we just don't want to give up our classics, but we know we can't just keep rereading Pride and Prejudice. Luckily there is a solution, Bridget Jones Diary. Based off of the hit Jane Austen novel Bridget Jones diary keeps some aspects of  Pride and Prejudice such as Mr. Darcy and basic plot events and remakes the rest of the story in a hilarious and definitely more mature way. This book is the perfect medicine for a bad day because I can assure you Bridget Jones day was much much worse.
Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

This laugh out loud comedy will have readers clutching their stomachs and shaking their heads in sympathy for poor Bridget Jones in the hilarious retelling of pride and Prejudice that is Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding. 30 year old singleton Bridget Jones just can't seem to get her life together. With her controlling self centered mother and smug married friends unable to see why she isn't married yet and her horrible job and even worse crush on her boss Bridget already has too much on her plate when her mother pushes her towards the stuck up and intolerable Mark Darcy at the annual turkey curry buffet. But as secrets and lies are revealed Mark Darcy might just be the best thing that entered Bridget Jones life. This book is just completely hilarious and such a fun easy read. I loved how the whole story truly is told in diary format because everything is just funnier seen through Bridget's eyes. Helen Fielding hit the ball out of the park with the elaborate mess that is Bridget Jones. The plot line of this book defies all logic and is completely unpredictable with so many twists and turns that its a wonder how the book still feels realistic. While this is an adult book it is also great for high school students and any one looking for a great comedy.

View all my reviews

3. Quirky College 

College is the epic romantic comedy setting because you are just gaining your independence. Exploring new things and getting to know yourself are great themes in any book and Fangirl does them perfectly. Filled with friendship, romance, and new responsibility Fangirl hits all the marks of a typicall romantic comedy while still being completely unique. Whether you want the nostalgic feels of just staring college or you are preparing for it in your future Fangirl will satisfy your college drama needs.
FangirlFangirl by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

All readers will find themselves being able to relate to something about this quirky, heartwarming coming of age tale that is Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Cath is a girl full of worries and starting college is at the top of her list especially now that her twin sister Wren decided she doesn't want to room with her. Now Cath is stuck with an unlikable roommate whose boyfriend is always hanging around and Cath is so overwhelmed she can barely leave her room. Luckily she still has Simon Snow the extremely popular book series that Cath writes fanfiction about. But when things start to go wrong with both her father and Wren can Cath handle the pressure? This book was amazing. I swear I could stop my review right there because that is really all you need to know. I felt so much of myself in Cath from being a total fangirl to having anxiety about everyday life. The plot line of this book was so different from what I expected though I should have known by now that all of Rainbow Rowell's books will wow you. This story has the perfect mixture of drama, comedy, friendship, and romance with real, deep characters. Fangirl is a must read for all fangirls and everyone else who enjoys a good book.

View all my reviews

4. Nerdy Coming of Age Story

We all love to root for the underdog and An Abundance of Katherines is chock full of underdogs. Sometimes we want our characters to have some brains and you can always count on John Green to supply them. Complete with anagrams, random historical facts and a gaggle of math this book will satisfy your inner nerd while giving you a great romantic comedy. If you like your romantic comedies a little heavier on the comedy then this is the book for you!  
An Abundance of KatherinesAn Abundance of Katherines by John Green
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

John Green has done it again and this time with more math! Readers will fall in love the hysterical coming of age story that is An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. If Colin knows one thing, its Katherines, considering he had been dumped by 19 of them. If being an almost genius had taught him anything it was that everything can be solved with math and while on a wacky road trip with his best friend he started developing a theory to explain love and help him finally find it. This is my favorite John Green book and its only partially due to the fact that I love math! I loved so many things about this book and I think my favorite aspect of it was how funny the whole thing was. Colin views the world in such a comedic way that this book hooked me from the first page. The characters in this book were hysterical and I was laughing out loud every time Hassan said something. The anagrams in this book were just another hilarious part of the intriguing personality that Colin has. This book was very honest and even though the plot felt completely unrealistic the characters were written with such an truthful feeling that felt logical and real. An Abundance of Katherines is the kind of book I think every young adult should read and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for some comic relief.

View all my reviews

5. Friendship and Romance Soup

Have you ever had a friend who you relied on everything for who suddenly disappeared? No? Me neither but thanks to Since You've Been Gone I feel like I have. This book is the perfect blend of friendship and romance so I like to call it friendship and romance soup because I love this book as much as I love soup (Which is a lot by the way). Having both a suddenly ended friendship and a friendship turned romance this book is pretty heavy on the friend feels. Luckily it has totaly hilarious characters and a book boyfriend who you would want to take home to your parents to balance it out!
Since You've Been GoneSince You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Readers will find themselves laughing out loud while being inspired to finally pull out that bucket list in the heartwarming book about true friendship that is Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson. Emily can't imagine how she survived before Sloane, becoming Sloane's best friend pulled her out of her shell and into the world. But when Sloane disappears leaving only a bucket list behind, Emily must team up with some unlikely friends to cross off each item and bring Sloane home. I honestly loved everything about this book. In being forced to choose my favorite thing about it then I pick how quirky the characters are. Morgan Matson does such a great job creating in depth personalities for each of her characters and I felt like they were real people who I had spent a lifetime getting to know by the end of the book. The plot of this book was so unique and made me feel like I was a daredevil actually doing the crazy things that Emily was doing. Emily's personality really resonated with me and I think that other teens will be able to relate to it as well. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone!

View all my reviews

Happy reading! I hope you enjoy these books as much as I did!- Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment