Saturday, July 22, 2017

Modern Baby Books

Seeing as that I am 16 I do not have any children of my own (thank god 16 and pregnant is scary TV show), but I have been spending a lot of time with my cousins who are two years old and 6 months old. Last week I babysat them for a week and in that time I got to see what kind of baby books they have. When asked what her favorite book was, my two year old cousin grabbed My First Busy Book by Eric Carle which when opened looks like a pretty typical baby book. Lots of bright colors and letters to help shape young minds. My six month old cousin obviously can't talk yet but if he could he would tell you about his little cloth book with fish in it that makes noise that doesn't have a title. Again pretty typical baby book. But when you take a closer look at what is in my cousins bookshelf you get titles such as:
Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting PrimerPride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer
by Jennifer Adams





Vader's Little PrincessVader's Little Princess
by Jeffrey Brown





My Body! What I Say Goes!: Teach Children about Body Safety, Safe and Unsafe Touch, Private Parts, Consent, Respect, Secrets and SurprisesMy Body! What I Say Goes!: Teach Children about Body Safety, Safe and Unsafe Touch, Private Parts, Consent, Respect, Secrets and Surprises
by Jayneen Sanders






Books like this definitely did not exist when I was a baby. Now we have great pop culture references for children's books and educational books that make sure everyone stays safe. My favorite is obviously the baby Pride and Prejudice because I'm a die hard Jane Austen fan! (some Jane Austen themed reviews will be going up soon!) So even though baby books might start to drive parents, siblings, nanny's, and babysitters crazy, I'm glad they exist to help mold young minds and foster learning. (By the way, my cousin Morgan is the one who requested I write about this and is now saying over and over I want to see the books, I want to see the books)



No comments:

Post a Comment